Internet marketing resources, ecommerce web site design tutorials and  just for fun - free cell phone ringtones!
  Taming the Beast - quality web marketing and ecommerce development services

Small business survey

Posted by Michael Bloch in ecommerce (Tuesday January 8, 2008 )

Do you ever find that you dream about your business? Sometimes I wake up feeling like I’ve already done a day’s work! We’re not alone – 51% of small business owners reported experiencing sleepworking during a recent survey.

The Staples survey of just over 300 owners and executives of American businesses having no more than 20 employees also found:

– 98% of small-business owners work during “time off”, including nights and vacations

– 54% expect to work even harder during this year

– 40% say they get their best ideas behind the wheel

– 38% can’t remember when they last took a vacation

– Close to 70% do not have a written business plan.

– 33% don’t complete the tasks on their “to-do” list each day

– 66% felt constantly challenged by time.

I can certainly identify with some of those points.

Here’s another interesting statistic from the survey; 84% haven’t yet incorporated “new media” strategies such as blogs and podcasts into their business activities.

In a society of labor saving device technology, small business people are still very pressed for time. In fact, the survey found over 50% said they would accept similar business results in 2008 compared to 2007 if they could have twice as much free time… but then again, 48% said they would work even more hours if they could generate more cash. So the 52% have little chance of achieving their dreams because of the other 48% I guess. Damn them all :).

Back to the blogging side of things – no wonder many haven’t implemented new media; they simply don’t have the time. For me, blogging can be a bit of a chore at times, but it helps me to make new connections, revisit old lessons, learn new ones and keep my finger somewhat on the pulse as to what’s happening in the world of marketing and ecommerce.

Read more of the Staples small business survey

Pick up business plan development tips (and a free template)



 

 
1 comment for Small business survey
  1. Time, time, time…If only I had more time. I definately relate to time being a challenge.

    Good article!

    Comment by Ecommerce Junkie — January 8, 2008 @ 9:25 am

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.